Used for curing Premature Ejaculation in adult men (from eighteen to sixty four years of age). Premature ejaculation is seen if a male ejaculates with little sexual stimulus and/ or earlier than he or his partner wishes to, resulting in an unsatisfactory sexual experience. While for some men this is a temporary condition and can get better on its own, for others prescribed medications with ingredients such as Dapoxetine help.
Dapoxetine is a known selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). It essentially increases the serotonin levels in your body that make you last longer. It also improves control over ejaculation. It starts working within a few minutes of intake and effects of it can last for a few hours. This drug has been developed selectively for the treatment of premature ejaculation in men and helps improve their virility. This medicine is best taken when sexual activity is anticipated and not every day.
The Composition of Dapoxetine
Dapoxetine is an SSRI and variations of it find their use in treatment of mood disorders such as depression, mania, bipolar disorder and so on as it alters the functioning of the hormone serotonin in the nervous system. It is specifically designed to help patients with the problem of premature ejaculation.
Therapeutic Uses of Dapoxetine
Dapoxetine is used to treat premature ejaculation in adult men. Premature ejaculation can be a cause of frustration and embarrassment and can lead to unsatisfactory sexual and personal relations. This is a panacea for sexual problems in men resulting in a boost of confidence as one doesn’t have to worry about ejaculating prematurely.
Symptoms of Premature ejaculation: Premature Ejaculation can be seen when little sexual stimulus results in seminal discharge or it occurs within a few minutes (read 2 to 3 minutes) of sexual activity which need not be penetrative.
Who can Dapoxetine be prescribed to?
Dapoxetine should only be administered to adult men between the ages of 18 to 64. Anyone with a heart condition, blood pressure, diabetes, liver or kidney ailment and other long term health issues should avoid consumption of this drug as it has known drug interaction with the components of medications used to treat above health issues.
How does Dapoxetine work?
Dapoxetine also acts as an antidepressant as it affects the hormone serotonin and is a popular SSRI. It suppresses the functioning of serotonin transporter in the nervous system which increases the level of serotonin in nerves, increasing the time taken to ejaculate. It provides better control over discharge thus increasing length of sexual intercourse and ensuring a healthy sex life.
Dapoxetine’s Mode of Ingestion
It should be taken only when prescribed by the doctor. It is an orally ingested drug which can be taken with or without food. No known food interactions are found yet thus you need not adjust your diet. Take it as advised by the doctor or before sexual activity is expected.
When to consume: It is advisable to take it between 1-3 hours before sexual intercourse for best results. The effect of the drug lasts for 2 to 3 hours but with proper dosage can last for up to 4 hours.
How to consume: It can be taken with or without food. Swallow it as a whole with at least one full glass of water. Do not break, chew, or damage the pill in any way. Do not take more than one pill in a 24 hour period. It is not intended for regular usage and should only be ingested when sex is anticipated.
Who can consume: It can be taken by those who experience early seminal discharge. Those between the ages of 18 to 64 who experienced long term problems with seminal discharge only should be advised to take this drug. Short term issues are to be avoided. Anyone with a sound health and no long term health ailments (mental or physical) are the safest group to administer this drug.
Who cannot consume: Anyone with a known history of mental health issues like depression, mania, bipolar, or other neurotic disorders are strictly advised not to take this medication without sharing your complete history with your doctor. The same applies for those who suffer from heart, kidney, liver or pancreatic ailments.
**Do not consume grapefruit juice while taking this medicine. Alcohol is to be avoided as it may amplify the sedative effects. Any other forms of recreational drugs are also to be avoided while taking this medicine as it will increase the side effects.
Recommended Dosage of Dapoxetine
Your required dosage should be decided by the doctor after discussing your problem in detail. It should be consumed preferably 1-3 hours of anticipated sexual activity. It should not be taken every day and only one tablet in a 24 hour period.
Side Effects of Dapoxetine
Like all medicines, Dapoxetine can also cause side effects. The symptoms are to be instantly taken care of. Although, everyone does not experience all the side effects, some common side effects are:
- Dizziness, tendency to faint, blurry vision, nausea.
- Irritability, anxiety, restlessness, numbness.
- Erectile issues.
- Indigestion, vomiting, dry mouth, bloating.
- Facial flushing, nosebleeds, nasal congestion.
- Fatigue, insomnia, reduced sexual interest.
- Mental health issues like inability to concentrate, depression.
- Diarrhoea, constipation.
- Allergic Reactions
More serious side effects include:
- Mood swings, suicidal tendencies
Medical conditions that need to be taken care of:
People with a history of heart diseases, kidney related issues and diabetes should maintain caution while taking Dapoxetine tablets. If you have experienced mental health issues like depression, mood disorders like bipolar or suicidal tendencies, inform your doctor regarding the same before getting a prescription for it.
Managing the Side Effects of Dapoxetine
Most common side effects can be managed by simple home remedies. However, if the symptoms persist or you develop more severe side effects, consult your nearest health care centre as soon as you can.
- If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, get up and move around till you feel better. Eat healthy food to boost energy. Alternatively you can sit with your head between your knees or lie down.
- To avoid feeling nauseated or indigestion, eat simple food and avoid greasy or spicy food. Increase the intake of liquids in your diet and eat foods rich in Vitamin C or citric acids such as lemons, oranges etc. Feelings of nausea could also be a sign that you are about to faint. So sit in one place to avoid harming yourself. Call for help and make sure you have someone to take care of you.
- In case of vomiting, drink cold water and lie down flat on your stomach on a cold surface.
- If you feel your face getting flushed or your nose bleeding, lie down in a cool room and relax by taking deep breaths. Drink clear cold drinks to keep your body temperature down.
- If you experience any other severe or persisting non-severe symptom consult your doctor as soon as you can.
Anyone with diabetes, high or low blood pressure or kidney disorders may have to get their dosage adjusted by their doctor. Dapoxetine may affect the liver after prolonged use. Patients of liver disease also have to adjust their dosage. Before taking it, discuss the pros and cons with your doctor.
It should not be recommended to people with active heart conditions.
Drug Interactions with Dapoxetine
Make sure to inform your doctor if you are on medication for any of the following issues or have recently taken any other medication including prescription and over the counter drugs:
- Medication to treat mental health issues like depression
- Medication to treat fungal infections
- Any antivirals
- Medicine used to treat migraines
- Ibuprofen or acetyl salicylic acid
- Medications for erectile dysfunctions
- Heart medicine
- Blood pressure medicines
- Pain killers
- Or any other medicine for long term or short term health issues.